Parents Should Still Be Weary Of Garage Sale Finds

by in Baby Safety, Playpens, Recalls

Last summer I wrote and article about the dangers of purchasing second hand baby products from Garage sales.

Safety regulations are always evolving, forcing old baby products to be deemed unsafe.

A collapsed playpen claimed the life of an infant in Richmond, B.C., apparently because his parents were unaware of the dangers of the playpen that was purchased at a garage sale.

Euan Artus Elston died in a playpen that was recalled more than ten years ago because of a design flaw.

But because the family bought the playpen at a garage sale, they had no idea that it was not safe until the infant got his neck wedged between the folding sides of the playpen, just minutes after his mother had put him down for a nap.

Euan’s grandmother had bought the Century Fold-N-Go playpen at a garage sale a few months ago, not knowing that it had been recalled in 1996 because the locks that held down the sides could fail, causing the sides to collapse.

The problem came to light after an 18-month-old boy died in the U.S. under the same circumstances.

Several on-line memorials are being held Monday for Euan, who was born in Winnipeg and would have celebrated his first birthday in two weeks.

“I heard about it [Euan’s death] and I felt like I didn’t want to live anymore,” said father Daniel Elston.

Our heart goes out to Euan’s family. I hope that his story will help other parents understand the danger of buying second hand baby items.

Century Fold Up Playpen RECALL

About the Author

SAHM of 2 boys and founder of, World Traveled Family and The World We Share. When I'm not running around after my boys, I'm looking for our next vacation spot!

Leave a Reply

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar.