While many people know about bamboo furniture, flooring and kitchen utensils, not much is known about bamboo fabric.
Bamboo fiber is a revolutionary new fabric that has unparalleled advantages, including strength, versatility and luxurious softness. In a relatively short time, clothing made from bamboo fiber has made it to the top ranks of eco-friendly choices.
Bamboo fabric is created from bamboo pulp. The fabric is bleached without the use of chlorine. Bamboo fabric is easy to dye and is done so without the use of harsh chemicals, using methods which require less water than conventional dyeing methods.
Bamboo fabric is used for a range of clothing, such as shirts, dresses, socks and slacks, and because of it’s antimicrobial properties, is ideal for active wear. Bamboo is often blended with 30% cotton to add structure to garments. Bamboo is also used for sheets and pillowcases, because it’s smooth fiber lends a satin feel; bamboo sheets also feel warmer in winter and cooler in summer. As an added benefit, bamboo products are often less expensive than their cotton, silk or rayon counterparts.
- Naturally soft. Bamboo apparel is softer than the softest cotton, and it has a natural sheen like silk or cashmere. Bamboo drapes like silk or satin, yet is less expensive and more durable. Bamboo/Organic cotton blends are also extremely soft but heavier in weight.
- Allergy reduced. Bamboo’s organic and naturally smooth fiber properties are non-irritating to the skin, making it ideal for people with skin sensitivities or other allergies and dermatitis. Some people can still experience chemical sensitivities, however, depending on the manufacturing process used to produce the fiber.
- Thermal regulating. ensuring that you are warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Bamboo clothing’s excellent wicking properties also make it ideal for warm summer days.
- Absorbs moisture. A cross-section of bamboo fiber reveals various micro-holes, allowing bamboo cloth to have superior absorption. This allows bamboo cloth to absorb and evaporate human sweat rapidly. Bamboo fiber is four times more absorbent than cotton.
- Breathable. The porous qualities of bamboo fiber account for it’s breathability; clothing made of bamboo resists clinging during hot weather or exercise.
- Anti-bacterial. Bamboo fabric contains a naturally occurring anti-microbial agent, kun, that prevents bacteria from cultivating on it, which means it helps keep you odor free.
- UV protection. Bamboo naturally provides added protection against the sun’s harmful UV rays.
Because of it’s anti-bacterial and UV resistant properties, bamboo fiber clothing is particularly well suited for performance and exercise wear.