Laila Ali has been a professional athlete all her life. After giving birth to her son Curtis in late August, the new mom found herself needing to get back in shape. But how does a mother find the time and the energy?
Laila, who found out that being fit is good for both the mom and her baby, shares her get fit tips with new moms.
Before starting an exercise regime, check with your doctor. Here are some other exercise safety tips to keep n mind:
- Invest in a good support bra. Your breasts are going to be larger than normal from the milk production and will need a lot of extra support.
- Be careful of high-impact sports due to lax pelvic ligaments and joints left over from pregnancy. This is why core (abdominal work is key after pregnancy preventing lower back and joint injuries).
- Make sure you drink lots of water to replenish yourself, especially when breastfeeding.
- Listen to your body. If you’re feeling tired, go easy on yourself. Try not to push yourself until you feel ready.
- If you start to feel light headed and nauseous, or notice a change in the color of your vaginal discharge, consult with your doctor. You may be exercising too strenuously.
*And remember, losing baby weight takes time. Since her son was born in August, Laila has lost 15 pounds. She says she has 20 more to go.*