When Jamie and Emily Ogg arrived on March 25 at 27 weeks gestation doctors gave little Jamie no chance of survival even though he weighed just over 2 lbs.
His twin sister Emily had survived but Jamie was declared dead by the doctor who delivered him after 20 minutes battling to get him to breathe.
He was handed to his mother Kate so she and her partner David could grieve and say her goodbyes.
The new mom placed him on her chest and after two hours of being spoken to, touched cuddled and held by his mum he began showing signs of life.
‘He wasn’t moving at all and we just started talking to him. We told him what his name was and that he had a sister.
‘We told him the things we wanted to do with him throughout his life.’
Jamie occasionally gasped for air, which doctors said was a reflex action.
She added: ‘After just five minutes I felt him move as if he were startled, then he started gasping more and more regularly.
‘I thought, “Oh my God, what’s going on?” A short time later he opened his eyes. It was a miracle.
‘I told my mum, who was there, that he was still alive. Then he held out his hand and grabbed my finger.
‘He opened his eyes and moved his head from side to side.’
‘I gave Jamie some breast milk on my finger, he took it and started regular breathing.
‘At that point the doctor came back. He got a stethoscope, listened to Jamie’s chest and just kept shaking his head.
‘He said, “I don’t believe it, I don’t believe it”.’
Kangaroo care, which is what the mom did, is one of the most significant ways to bond with a premature baby. The warmth of the moms body paired with the soothing sounds of her heartbeat have been know to reduce anxiety, regulate breathing and help babies grow faster. In this case Kate’s body acted link an incubator to keep the baby warm, which stabilized his heart rate and helped him to breathe.
Now the tiny baby is home from the hospital and doing well. The doctor who looked after the baby refused to be interviewed by the TV show.
- Parents ‘Last Good Bye’ Saved Their Baby’s Life
- Premature Baby Receives Breastmilk Donation From Special Place
- Paramedic Saves Premature Baby Using Trash Bag
- Joy Replaces Sadness When Baby Thought To Be Stillborn Breathes
~ You May Also Like ~
- Preemie Profile: 27 Weekers Matthew & Andrew
- Couple Marvels At Their Amazing Baby Who Survived Despite Extreme Complications
- Tiny Baby Survives After Arriving Weighing Just 9 Ounces
- Mom With No Brain Activity gives Birth to Healthy Baby Boy in Hungary
- Little Baby, Big Spirit: Still Going Strong at Four Years Old