The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns consumers that some “metoo” clip-on table top chairs(those manufactured before March 2010), imported by phil&teds USA Inc., of Fort Collins, Colo. put young children at risk of serious injury due to multiple safety hazards. CPSC is urging consumers to stop using some metoo clip-on chairs immediately.
The product is an infant/toddler chair with a nylon fabric seat and a metal frame that clamps onto tables using two metal vise clamps. The upper part of each clamp rests on the table top and has either a rubber clamp pad on its underside or a rubber boot covering it. The chair is sold in three fabric colors – red, black and navy.
The clip-on chairs affected by this warning do not have plastic spacers between the table clamps and the front horizontal metal bar. The clip-on chairs that have plastic spacers between the table clamps and the front horizontal metal bar are under evaluation.
The company has refused to agree to a national recall of their hazardous product that is acceptable to CPSC. The company has offered a repair kit consisting of rubber boots to place on the upper clamp grips of the chairs. Consumers should be aware that CPSC has not approved a repair kit for this product, despite the firm’s prior statement that it was conducting a recall “in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.”
CPSC is urging consumers to stop using the affected metoo chairs at this time in order to prevent the risk of injury to children.
The affected metoo chairs pose serious fall and amputation hazards to children placed in them. Children can suffer impact and head injuries when the chair detaches from the table and falls with them in it. CPSC staff is aware of numerous incidents involving the affected metoo chairs.
CPSC staff has determined that the clamps can detach from a variety of different table surfaces. Additionally, the chairs can detach when children move around or use their feet to push against other objects. Staff also determined that the lack of adequate space between the horizontal metal bar at the front of the chair and the clamps can cause children’s fingers to be severely pinched, lacerated, crushed or amputated if caught between the bar and the clamp when the chair detaches.
In addition to hazards with the affected clip-on chairs, the product packaging and instructions provide conflicting information. The product’s packaging and marketing information show the product being used in ways that may lead to the chair detaching from the table. However, the product’s instructions do not adequately warn against this type of use.
UPDATED: After we heard about the recall we contacted phil&teds for a comment and this is what they told us.
The metoo is compliant with ASTM. We became aware that some users were failing to properly attach their chairs, some for fear of damaging a table top. To further prevent that we voluntarily announced a recall to repair and issued a ad…d-on grip kit back in February. That kit was approved by all worldwide safety authorities and issued, but we’ve been waiting since then for the CPSC to sanction the release and cooperating fully with them. We will continue to do so. Meantime: the chairs remain utterly safe if attached according to the instructions. We implore all users to ensure they do that.
phil&teds website also offers information about this recall.
- Infant Found Dead in Recalled Stroller
- RECALL: 300 Cribs by ducduc Due to Fall and Entrapment Hazards
- RECALL: 76,000 Arm’s Reach Concepts Recalls Infant Bed-Side Sleepers Due to Entrapment, Suffocation and Fall Hazards
- CPSC Warns: As Button Battery Use Increases, So Do Battery-Related Injuries and Deaths
~ You May Also Like ~
- RECALL: 29,000 phil&teds USA Strollers For Repair Due to Amputation and Laceration Hazards
- Feature Review: phil&teds metro Backpack Carrier
- RECALL: phil&teds Infant Car Seat Adaptors for Strollers Due to Fall Hazard
- BabyHome USA Recalls High Chairs Due to Strangulation Hazard
- Fisher-Price Recalls to Inspect Rock ‘N Play Infant Sleepers Due to Risk of Exposure to Mold