Premature Babies Unusual Baby Stories

Nurse Accidentally Feeds Baby Fabric Softener

Somehow, a nurse in the Special Care Nursery mistakenly fed a premature baby fabric softener instead of breast milk.

premature baby

The toxic ‘Comfort Pure’ was poured into the newborn boy’s stomach via a feeding tube in a mix-up after his mum brought in the liquid to add to his blankets.

Staff only realized the mistake after he frothed at the mouth and started vomiting.

Fabric softener contains chemicals called surfactants that can be fatal to humans.

The hospital is blaming the mother of the preemie, named only as Baby Hunter, for bringing in the Comfort in a baby’s bottle.

But yesterday a furious nurse said colleagues should have double-checked before using it.

A source within the unit said:

“It was stupid of the parent to bring in fabric softener in a baby’s bottle to give to nurses.

“But this is a worried mother who wanted to make sure her baby had soft blankets.

“For a nurse to pick up an unlabelled bottle and not check it is also negligent.

“Fabric softener doesn’t even look like milk. It’s pearly and gloopy and has a strong perfume.

Everything about this is ridiculous. Let’s hope the baby doesn’t have any long term issues from this…


About the author

Lisa Arneill

Mom of 2 boys and founder of and World Traveled Family. When I'm not running around after my boys, I'm looking for our next vacation spot!

1 Comment

  • I saw this story on a different site, and apparently, the baby does NOT have any lasting effects from the softener. I’m suprised the mother didn’t label the softener as such, but SHAME ON THE NURSE!!!! OH MY GOSH! As a mother myself, I would SUE THE PANTS off the negligent nurse, get her fired, and potentially, have her medical license revoked! THAT’S A PREMATURE INFANT! They’re even less medically stable than a term-baby! She should never be allowed near babies, EVER!

Leave a Comment