What should you expect when you’re expecting? Easy ways to ensure you and your baby have a healthy diet packed with essential vitamins and nutrients while you’re pregnant. One super-food that provides major health benefits for a developing baby is hummus.
Nanoosh Mediterranean Bars & Counters, an all-natural, organic quick-service chain in Manhattan, offers these facts about hummus for soon-to-be moms:
- Hummus is packed with Folic acid, which is essential for a healthy baby and helps in the development of the fetal brain and spine.
- Protein is an essential component in the creation of human cells, so it’s a vital party of a healthy pregnancy diet. A woman’s protein intake should be increased by 10 grams a day and chickpeas are a great resource.
- Chickpeas also contain calcium which is one of the most important minerals you will need during pregnancy to assists with bone development.
- Your body’s need for iron doubles in order to help your baby make his or her entire blood supply. Hummus is a fantastic source of iron, which also helps prevent anemia.
- Vitamin C will help with tooth and bone development as well as the metabolic processes. Veggies and hummus make for a great snack during pregnancy.
Make your own!
- Food Processor
- ¾ lb raw organic chickpeas
- 5.3 ozs tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp salt
1. Soak the chickpeas in the water a day ahead.
2. Cook the chickpeas in boiling water for approximately 2 hours. Strain and chill
3. Place the chickpea in a food processor and mix with tahini, lemon juice, salt
, and water. Process until smooth.
4. Taste and adjust to taste by adding lemon juice, water, and/or salt.
Serve with pita bread, and healthy vegetables.
- Couple Wins Raffle Ticket To Get a Baby Boy!
- U of A Researchers Identify ‘Metabolic Fingerprint’ For Pre-Eclampsia
- Low Vitamin D Linked To Pre-eclampsia
Leave a Comment