Kimberly Quaid Twins

Cedar Sinai Doctors Apologize For Accidentally Overdosing Quaid Twins

The doctors who were looking after the Quaid twins in the hospital have a statement apologizing for their error.

In the statement hospital officials say that the accidental overdose, which occurred on Sunday, was a “preventable error”.

Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace, were accidentally given a massive dose of Heparin, an anti-coagulant. Babies typically get 10 units. It is believed that they were each mistakenly given 10,000 units. While the statement did not mention the Quaid twins specifically, it did say:

“I want to extend my deepest apologies to the families who were affected by this situation, and we will continue to work with them on any concerns or questions they may have,” said Dr. Michael L. Langberg, chief medical officer at Cedars. He added: “This was a preventable error, involving a failure to follow our standard policies and procedures, and there is no excuse for that to occur at Cedars-Sinai. Although it appears at this point that there was no harm to any patient, we take this situation very seriously.”

According to Langberg, three unidentified patients had their IVs flushed with an overly high concentration of heparin, used to keep IV catheters from clotting.

“As a result of a preventable error, the patients’ IV catheters were flushed with heparin from vials containing a concentration of 10,000 units per milliliter instead of from vials containing a concentration of 10 units per milliliter,” said Langberg. “The error was identified by Cedars-Sinai staff, who immediately performed blood tests on the patients to measure blood clotting function.”

Relates Articles:

Dennis Quaid’s Newborn Twins Accidentaly Overdosed By Hospital Staff


About the author

Lisa Arneill

SAHM of 2 boys and founder of and World Traveled Family. When I'm not running around after my boys, I'm looking for our next vacation spot!

Leave a Comment