Today, 50 years after her debut at New York Toy Fair, Barbie® doll celebrates five decades as the world’s most popular fashion doll by unveiling a new face and throwing a pink-carpet birthday bash at her real Malibu Dream House®.
Unveiled today at the Malibu Dream House®, the new Bathing Suit Barbie® doll is a modernized version of the original 1959 doll and pays homage to Barbie® doll’s original 1959 price by offering the new doll for $3 during Barbie® doll’s birthday week (March 9-14 at participating retailers nationwide).
Here are some things about Barbie you may not know:
- Barbie’s real name is Barbie Millicent Roberts
- Barbie is from Willows, Wisconsin. She attended Willows High School
- Barbie first appeared in the now-famous black-and-white striped swimsuit and signature ponytail
- Barbie has four sisters: Skipper (1964), Stacie (1992), Kelly (1995) and Krissy (1995)
- Barbie’s first pet was a horse named Dancer
- The first Barbie doll sold for $3.00 (1959)
- Barbie’s signature color is Barbie pink: PMS 219
- Barbie’s first boyfriend, Ken, debuted two years after Barbie in 1961
- Ken was named after the son of Mattel founders Ruth and Elliot Handler
- Ken and Barbie broke up on Valentine’s Day in 2004 after being together more than 43 years
- The best-selling Barbie doll ever was 1992 Totally Hair Barbie, with hair from the top of her head to her toes
Here is a look at how much Barbie has changed through the years: