Pregnant Woman Nurses Abandoned Infant to Save Her Life
147

by in pregnancy, Unusual Baby Stories

Would you ever nurse someone else’s baby? What if the life of that child rested on your decision? Maria Kristensen, a 25-year-old mom-to-be from Denmark was faced with this decision recently when she, her husband and three-year-old son Lucas were on their way to the airport in Turkey.

When Maria and her family set out that day, they probably had very few thoughts on their minds other than returning to their Denmark home safely. But as their taxi cab drove down the street, something stood out that they just couldn’t ignore.

“We sat in a taxi when we looked out on something [to the] right,” Maria said. “There was a pink little bundle up in a bag right outside of the road where the sun only shone down. She lay and baked.”

The family asked the cab driver to turn around so they could investigate the bundle further.

“We were very nervous to go out of the car,” Maria recalled. “Was the life of the child? It was over 40 degrees [Celsius], and the bundle lying in the sun.”

Yet despite their fear, the couple approached the little bundle lying in the street. When they reached it, they found a very small newborn girl. Her head was still bloody and the umbilical cord looked as though it had just recently been cut. Maria, a social worker by profession, believes that the little girl had to be only about a day old.

“The mother had packed her into pink clothes and put a blanket around her,” Maria said. “She was really hot, so I hurried to get her in the car and asked the driver to [turn] on the air conditioner. But there was no life in her.”

Maria’s husband Kent brought some cold water and tried to cool the baby down that way, but she still wasn’t responding. Suddenly, Maria had an idea. At 31 weeks pregnant, she was already lactating. After asking the cab driver if she could nurse the infant (due to cultural rules against nursing in public), Maria attempted to nurse the little girl.

“It took a while, but after a while, the little girl began to drink,” Maria said. “After she got into the industry, she revived. There was life in her eyes. She looked around and we thought ‘in the world.’ She was still bloody, and paper [was] on the umbilical cord. It’s probably a mother who has been powerless and did their best.”

For some, the idea of nursing someone else’s child may seem strange, but Maria says it felt completely natural to her. What was difficult for her was when the little girl had to be taken into child protective custody.

“In fact, I took it pretty well until I had to give her away,” Maria said. “It did not feel good at all to give her away. She woke up and looked the more [in] my eyes, and now I have gray ago.”

The little girl will be adopted out and has been named Ceren. Maria has been able to talk to the authorities about little Ceren’s progress and has been told that she can come by and visit at any time.

At first, it may not have occurred to Maria that she saved the little girl’s life. But now home in Denmark, she’s started to realize just how vital her ability to nurse may have been in keeping Ceren alive.

We often forget just how our decisions can impact the life around us. I’m completely amazed at how quickly and lovingly Maria reacted towards a child that needed her, despite the fact that the child had been born to another woman from another country. Hopefully, this little girl finds a permanent home that can give her just that kind of love – thoughtful, instinctive and loving beyond condition.

Related Articles:

SOURCE

Tags: , , , , ,

Kate Givans is a wife and a mother of five—four sons (one with autism) and a daughter. She’s an advocate for breastfeeding, women’s rights, against domestic violence, and equality for all. When not writing—be it creating her next romance novel or here on Growing Your Baby—Kate can be found discussing humanitarian issues, animal rights, eco-awareness, food, parenting, and her favorite books and shows on Twitter or Facebook. Laundry is the bane of her existence, but armed with a cup of coffee, she sometimes she gets it done. Find out more about Kate’s books at authorkategivans.com.

1. Sarah says:

That is amazing! What a great thing Maria did!

2. I’d absolutely nurse that baby. And I wouldn’t have even asked. In a life or death situation I wouldn’t have cared if they dragged me away in handcuffs as long as I nursed that baby first. It would be hard to give that child up though. I’d probably try to adopt the child myself.

• Angelina Schilt says:

Absolutely agree!Perhaps, if she is not adopted soon, Maria will be given that option. On the other hand maybe her role in that child’s life was simply to keep her alive until she could get to a place to go to another amazing mom-to-be awaiting their miracle baby.

3. Amanda says:

4. loving mother says:

I cant see how people can be so cruel… there r other options then leaving a baby on the side of the road to die.

5. I like how you put your blog graphic on that nursing picture but you could not possibly own it unless you were actually there in Turkey…

6. Lorie says:

People used to do it all the time.

7. lisa says:

It’s an awesome story. Though I must admit I do not connect with the idea of being unsure of nursing “someone’s else’s child”. It seemed as though the woman in the story had no trepidation for this, but apparently some people would (as you’ve inferred)? Maybe it’s because I’ve never breastfed, maybe it’s because I’m an adoptive parent, but to me it seems instinctual to rescue a child in need, no matter their origin. Bravo to this woman for saving this child. I hope the baby grows up knowing how miraculous her life is & fulfills a special destiny.

8. katrina says:

I would in a heart beat!! Every baby deserves a chance!!

9. charlene says:

This is amazing! I love this story… it’s completely brightened my day. Thanks for sharing =)

10. sara says:

I wouldn’t give the baby away!!!! i would want to adopt her

11. Kristen says:

This is a beautiful story! Simply amazing :)

12. Sarah says:

I have to agree with the above comment – a wonderful story, but although stopping to help was brave and very admirable, breastfeeding a baby in need would be instinctual for me as a mother, whoever’s child it was. But such a lucky baby to be rescued by someone who could help in this way!

13. Rey says:

It’s not weird at all. I breastfed my best friends baby when she was in the hospital. I was happy to do it, and it wasn’t strange at all.

14. Zeresh says:

What a wonderful story. If that would have happened to me I think I would have had to adopt that baby!
    Any news on how the baby is doing and if she has a family? What she able to continue to receive breast milk?

15. Sarah says:

When my oldest son was about 8 months old I was at church and there was a women whose three month old was still not back to her birth weight. Mom was determined to breastfeed even though the medication she had to take was not supposed to be used by breastfeeding mothers and was preventing baby from gaining weight. Anyway I nursed her and there were a number of people who were upset by it. I fail to see why. It is no different than eatting a hamburger in front of a starving person. I was making more than enough milk for my son, I asked the mother’s permission and that baby got what she needed. Same with this lady.

• Deborah says:

no pic you did a awesome thing ,some people dont get it and the mother said yes, so what is so wrong with this. you are a amazing person to help that lady out.

• Ashley says:

I totally agree. I would breastfeed someone else’s baby in a heartbeat, but there is the issue of diseases such as HIV passing through breastmilk so we all have a responsibility to consider that when feeding someone else’s child or when allowing someone else to feed our own child. I don’t want to be one of those irritating fear mongering people but it is a very real risk and you should never, ever breastfeed someone else’s child unless you are 100% sure your are clean. Likewise, you should never allow your own child to be breastfed by someone else unless they are sure and you can trust them that they are clean. Anyway, my point is I don’t find it weird at all to feed another person’s child, but we need to be safe and sensible about it and it needs to be mutually agreed upon between two parents.

16. Hartia says:

I don’t see any reason not to, I know a lot of breastfeeding mothers that would in a heartbeat!

17. Amiee Woods says:

This is a wonderful story. It is so beautiful to still see love in the world and I am so happy that that baby was given another chance at life. It is my will that she finds a family that will love her and that she has a successful, happy life!

18. Missa says:

When my daughter was a newborn, my husband asked me if I would breastfeed another baby if we found one injured or abandoned and I answered YES without even thinking about it. Of course! This woman is a HERO!!! Amazing story!

19. Aimee says:

A beautiful story, although I don’t see why it’s made such a big deal to feed someone else’s child, or the fact the baby was from a different country than Maria. A baby is a baby, no matter it’s origin. I don’t feel there’s any sort of strangeness in feeding someone else’s child.

20. Brandi says:

If they HADN’T seen the little pink lump in the road, if they HADN’T went back to check, if Maria HADN’T been inspired to nurse her…. so glad Ceren is ok. I would love to love and care for her, or any unwanted babies!

And why on earth can’t babies nurse in public in Denmark?!?!?! They need food and water just as the rest of us.

21. Andrea says:

One thing people forget, bottles haven’t been around forever, let alone formula. What did women do before bottles? Why is it looked on so horrible now days to breastfeed babies, not to mention breastfeed someone elses child. It’s called a Wet Nurse. Women have done it for centuries. Queens and other royalty had wet nurses for their own children if they chose not to Breastfeed themselves. I’ve breastfed my nephews and an adopted niece. My sister has also breasted our adopted niece. It’s a beautiful experience. I would have done the same as Maria in a heart beat.

22. Amy says:

I would absolutely do it but I absolutely would ask. I’d have no desire to be handcuffed and separated from my husband, three-year-old and doom my unborn child to a life of hell. Thanks for bringing to light Turkey’s rule against public breastfeeding – somewhere to strike off my itinerary. Wonderful story, rotten translation.

• Lucille says:

Please don’t believe what you read about a law against breastfeeding in public in Turkey. I was an expat in Turkey for 4.5 years and breastfed my son for 2 years in public. In parks, in taxis, in malls, on benches along the street. There is definitely NOT a ban on public breastfeeding! Turkey is a wonderful country where kids are adored. Don’t strike it off your list!

• TK says:

I visited Turkey when my daughter was four weeks old. I don’t remember if I breast-fed in public, but I do remember that the men in the marketplaces were all absolutely crazy about her! They were so kind and loving and interested, way more then in the countries we visited after that. (Perhaps it was because she had red hair, which made her a bit of a celebrity.) It seemed like a country that really values its children.

23. Missy says:

They were still in turkey, not denmark, that’s why she wasn’t allowed to breastfeed in public.

24. Danielle says:

I would absolutely nurse that baby. And I think it was in Turkey, Brandi, not Denmark. The woman was from Denmark. I have no issues with wetnursing, milk sharing or breastfeeding and to me, you do whatever you can to take care of a baby and keep him or her safe.

25. Jo says:

They were in the taxi to the airport in Turkey on their way back home to Denmark. Not that it’s OK to be banned from nursing in Turkey either!
    Like others have said, I would do the same in a heartbeat and just be glad that I had milk and could do this. A really uplifting story that shows underneath all the complications and nonsense of modern society, we are all still human.

• ajem says:

I lived in Turkey for a number of years and breastfed my son in public there regularly. My husband is Turkish and my Turkish sisters in law all breastfed their children in public. I would say that breastfeeding is much more common and considered the norm in Turkey, far more than it is here in the UK.

26. Kim says:

Just to clarify the above comment, the mother is from Denmark, they were in Turkey.

This is a beautiful story and no doubt I was also nurse another baby in need!

27. Connie says:

In a heart beat without a second thought!

28. naomi says:

The dear little Angel! How difficult would it have been to leave her!!!!???! Compassion would dictate that if you had the ability to nurse, then you would, and clearly this lovely girl has it in abundance…. I pray she and her family is blessed in abundance, and above all, baby Ceren lives a full and blessed life.

29. Christie says:

What an amazing story, how lucky that little girl was to have such special people to love and adore her in her time of need. Good on you, you should be so proud for what you have done.

30. Cathy – could you share your source for the story? I’d love to read more!

31. Grace says:

“Then I knew that it blew up on the breasts, says Mary. She was afraid to break some cultural rules, so she asked the taxi driver if it was okay if she put the baby to the breast.

– He nodded and said, of course, so I hurried to put her, says Mary”

From what I have researched it is neither illegal nor culturally abnormal to nurse in Turkey, lest that be propagated.

The mother from the story asked to be cautious because she wasn’t aware of how he would react, but this article implies that it is a rule or law or that it is unheard of to see women nursing babies in public in Turkey. Not so, in fact, it may be more common to see babies nursing in Turkey than it is in the U.S. or U.K.

32. Chantelle says:

@Amanda. “Amazing! and beautiful! i’m so happy she thought to breastfeed that little girl. i hope i have an opportunity to save a life like this one day <3"

I'm sorry but, you are a horrible person. Why would you ever wish for someone else's life to be in a compromising situation just so *you* can feel like a hero? Selfish and disgusting attitude, really.

A much better hope is that this situation doesn't happen to other children. That people get more support for their lives so they don't feel they have to give birth and then abandon their children on the side of the road. This hope can be a reality too, and not just an idle "one day", by actually doing something for charities and organisations who were made for this. It's by sitting on your bottom doing nothing and wishfully hoping for an opportunity to arise that nothing gets done. There ARE babies out there right now, who are (literally) dying for someone to care for them. Why not be that person, for real? Today?

On topic –
    This is a great story, and it's very lucky that the situation panned out like it did. Had it happened any other way, it could have been disastrous. However Maria, with her knowledge and understanding from her profession, gave her a better sense of what to do in situations like that and gave her the confidence to take action. Just even more lucky she was at the end of her own pregnancy to give the sustenance that baby needed.

Goes to show a little kindness and responsibility, paired with knowledge, can save a life =)

• joe says:

I was thinking the same exact thing when I read that comment

• Mamma_bear says:

Being devil’s advocate here, but I think you jumping down this persons throat in such a mean way is also disgusting. I’m sure her intention would more likely be that if a situation arose where someone was in need that she would have the ability to help. Or at least that’s how I choose to read it. Sometimes people don’t express themselves in the best way, but I think her intention was clear. No need to turn a nice thought/gesture into something so ugly. There’s just no need for it.

33. Aimee says:

without hesitation I would have done the same thing!! I never was in a situation to wet nurse, but I am absolutely sure that if I would if ever presented with the situation. And, yes, breastfeeding is what kept the human race, and all mammals, from extinction beginning from when Eve gave birth for the first time in history. There are so many stories through the centuries of mothers passing away and leaving newborns and even older infants to be nursed and kept alive by women in the same villages who were lactating. I only wish that I would have the opportunity to wet nurse, but am still thrilled with the fact that four children are happy, healthy and alive because I chose to do the one thing that I knew God had created me to do after I gave birth.

34. Ellie says:

Um, there are no ‘cultural rules’ against breastfeeding in Turkey. You should alter that in your report before you unwittingly unleash an anti-Turkey backlash! :-) Breastfeeding in public is unremarkable and pretty well represented in most countries where Islam is the dominant religion.

I’m also not sure your wording here ‘…despite the fact that the child had been born to another woman from another country.’ is very helpful either. What’s the big deal with caring for children born to women from another country, whether that care is expressed as breastfeeding, feeding another way or just giving the child a cuddle?

Great story, though.

35. Ali says:

If I was only 31 weeks pregnant i wouldnot nurse the baby and risk premature labor. Nursing stimulates uterine contractions and possible early labor. I would take the baby to the closest hospital. If I was already nursing I would for sure.

• Agnes says:

Unless the pregnancy is endangered already (Maria would have been home though, not travelling abroad) there’s no risk of premature labour when nursing in pregnancy. Please have a look here: http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-preg/bfpregnancy_safety/ The above is a reliable site based on up to date studies. Please do not distribute incorrect info.
      BTW, I know personally dozens of mums who nursed in pregnancy (myself included), and hundreds of such mums via dedicated Facebook groups.

• Kathleen says:

I realise that this comment is 2 years old, but I can’t let this misinformation sit here unanswered.

As one of many thousands, probably millions, of women who have nursed through pregnancy perfectly safely I can assure you that what you have described is not a risk for the majority of pregnant women. Those with serious risk factors for preterm labour should be cautious of nursing during pregnancy, but the women who have these conditions would be aware of them. There was no risk of preterm labour for this woman.

36. Julie says:

That is a great story. I have nursed my nephew whos mom was at the hospital, and after many attempts from my mother at giving him a bottle, he was very hungry and had never taken a bottle before. I had a son the same age, and was nursing him, so instictivly, I took my nephew and nursed him- he didnt seem to notice at all that I was not his mother. I did not ask my sister if it was ok before I did it, but I hope that she appriciated the effort to keep her child healthy while she was away. And I would do it for any baby that needed me…

37. Claudette says:

Like everyone else I think this is a wonderful story. I’m from the UK (England) and being very pro -breastfeeding I always encourage other mothers. I have breastfed babies other than my own, and breastfed my three children into toddlerhood.

I too would have found it very hard to leave little Ceren. Too many people have the opportunity to do something good but hesitate because they are worried about what other people might think.

38. Amanda says:

Beautiful . I would have adopted her!! I am in the back of my job crying and wanting to go home and hug and nurse my 10 month old!!

39. Mckinlees mommy =) says:

i would do this in a heart beat!! this is a amazing thing to save a life as a mother i knw that i wouldve done the same! i breast fed my daughter for as long as i could and i wouldve done the same thing she done this is just a beautiful story other then the fact that the baby was left there =/ i wouldnt have been able to leave her there i wouldve tryd my best to get her!! <3

40. Luna La Plant says:

I wouldn’t even take the time to think a few seconds could mean life or death it would be instinct and instant i would not ask i would just do it.
    Also why couldn’t she adopt the little girl herself that would be heart braking i would do all i could to get to adopt her myself.

41. Ali – it takes a LOT of nursing to start contractions. See: http://codenamemama.com/2011/09/07/bfing-pg-concerns-safety/
    Also, assuming you have access to a NICU with proper equipment, “Babies born at around 31 weeks or more have about a 95% chance of survival.” (source: http://www.birth.com.au/Premature-baby/Survival-of-preterm-babies-gestation.aspx?p=2)

Lisa – thanks for sharing that link!

42. Cathy says:

Sorry for the confusion in the breastfeeding cultural norms. The article was pulled from a very difficult to decipher translation. It seems that there are no cultural issues with breastfeeding in Turkey, but that maybe the woman was afraid of any issues that might have arisen from her nursing the child in a public place because the statement was made based on a specific quote from the article.

I also agree with the adoption part, for all that have wondered why she didn’t just adopt the baby. There could be numerous reasons…issues with the baby being born and found in another country, expecting a newborn very soon, who knows. But I agree. It would have broken my heart to leave that beautiful little girl behind. I just hope she finds a wonderful, loving forever family soon!

• Tiffany says:

It’s not as simple as just saying, I want to adopt the baby. Especially as a foreigner in a country she was just visiting. There are laws, home studies, processes to follow to ensure a child’s safety when being adopted. Likely there are many families who have already been processed and live in Turkey who are waiting to adopt.

This woman did such an amazing thing. I’m so thankful she happened along and followed her gut to see what the bundle was. I hope Caren grows up to know how previous she was to a complete stranger. What could have been a tragedy turned into a miracle.

43. Mell says:

That is truly a beautiful story. Any woman that knows the love of being a mother would hopefully do the same. I know if it were me, even though I’m well passed being able to have children, I would have rescued that baby, and done everything in my power to revive and save her little life. God Bless Maria and her husband, for having the curiousity to turn around and check on what that little bundle was.
    Too many people would have just kept going and wondered, without actually doing anything.

44. YOLANDA says:

MARIA AND HER FAMILY DID NOT FIND THE BABY GIRL BY ACCIDENT, THE LORD SEND THEM IN HER DIRECTION THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. Madagatra2 says:

A beautiful story of a mother’s instinct and compassion. Marred only by the high and mighty web mums on here commenting about how THEY would have done it better! This woman performed marvellous act whilst being intelligent enough to be aware of cultural issues with exposure of her body. Also it is not a situation of “Finders Keepers” towards this baby and to rip her away from her mother country and culture to forcibly adopt her. This woman is intelligent, caring and respectful so don’t disrespect this story with your holier than thou attitudes. Just give thanks that the baby is doing well .

46. Amnesty says:

I want to nurse just about every crying baby I come across, and I haven’t breastfed any baby in over a year and a half, lol. It’s just instinct to want to put a crying baby to your breast, even if you’re not a nursing mom!

• Lisa Arneill says:

@Amnesty – I completely agree. I nursed my son for three years and it just became such a big part of my life that I believe I should feed the world. And I have a friend that turns to me when we hearing a crying baby and says, ‘no, you can’t offer to feed them!’. Knowing that you have such a precious renewable resource is really empowering.

47. Kim says:

I followed the story, based in Denmark as I am, and a mother of two small ones myself. Glad to see, that Maria and Ceren’s story reached other parts of the world, because it’ s such a wonderful, positive story!

I read in the papers, that when Maria returned to Denmark, she went to her own doctor cause she became anxious if the nursing could result in premature labour but everything is fine :)

To those of you questioning, why she doesn’t just adopt little Ceren: are you maybe being a little unfair? They have a 3 year old, and she’s about to give birth to a second child… And we don’t know anything else about their situation, so I think let’s just give praise for what she’s done already :)

A lovely day to you all.

48. UmmReem says:

Such a little precious baby, looks just like my second one. I am of Turkish origin and a Muslim myself and breastfeeding is something that is strongly encouraged in Islam (to breastfeed until the child is two years old). It is actually such a ‘big deal’ that if you nurse a baby five times to fill her tummy, you are to be called a ‘mother’ to her as well and will be treated in the eyes of Islam as her mother what it comes to family relations.

Also life always goes over any rule in Islam, I am sure it is the same in Turkish culture.

49. Laura says:

I wouldn’t have given her up! An infant in social services, how sad :( That little thing needs a family and love right away! I absolutely would have kept her.

50. brieanne says:

My sister and I have discussed nursing other children, and both of us agree–if it were a life and death situation, we would nurse someone else’s child in a heartbeat. We both know that it’s just modern culture that makes us feel strange about this practice. Beautiful story, but my heart breaks thinking of Ceren at an orphanage.

51. Chrissy says:

It goes to show us all that love and compassion crosses all boundries, cultures and diversities.

52. Humboldt Mama says:

Beautiful story! What a wonderful, selfless act of love and compassion! I admit I shed a tear or two as I read it while nursing my own sweet baby. I would love to think that if presented with a similar situation I would have the quick wit to respond similarly. She is a true hero. :-))

53. Lizzie says:

Amazing, God bless this mother. I hope that baby found a loving home, what a scary and sad start

54. Shalena Judith Wade/Sedivy says:

What a beautiful story! I love that Maria acted without much thinking. Just her Instinct! That’s truly a passion full human! Thank you!

55. Julia says:

Wow, thank god for this little girl and thank god Maria found her in-time and acted upon her instincts. I would nurse another in a heartbeat if I had too or asked too. I can not bare the thought of women leaving newborns to die, makes me sick to my stomach and I always cry when I hear of this happening no matter where in the world it is, they are soooooo innocent and precious! May god bless maria, her family and that little baby girl!

56. Hazel says:

That is a beautiful story :,)

57. Anna says:

I had a friend in 1978 who had traved across country from california to virginia without money to buy much food and did not have anything to drink for 3 days when she arrived her baby would not stop screaming I told her she is not getting any milk…you have none you have not gotten any food or water and your milk is gone….she and her husband were sure I was wrong….I had plenty our babies were born the same month…so I asked if I could nurse hers…I was a little nervous because my baby was a big eater but I went ahead and nursed hers on one side and in about 15 minutes the baby was fast asleep and my dear friend cried realizing the baby had indeed been hungry….the Dad was angry at himself and her and did not like me nursing their baby !!! go figure.. he went out and got formula…..I was sad…I felt they gave up on nursing…I felt responsible….I am older wiser and know better now….water was free he should have gotten off atr every stop and gotten all the water at least that he could have for the mother….yes i would nurse any baby….no baby /child can have too many people to love them…..that goes for all of us doesn’t it?

• babie says:

you did the right thing kinda crazy for the dad to get mad, nursing is natural its not like you did it for sexual gratification. and your friend being the mother gave you permission. and your right water is free and im sure the owner of any gas station would not have minded giving a Styrofoam cup for free that she could keep filled with water.

58. Crystal says:

Good job, Maria and Kent.

What country was the baby found in? This story was published a year ago, is there any more information?

59. Joanna says:

What a wonderful story. I would do the same in an instant.
    What an amazing gift she gave that little girl.
    You can’t just keep her because you found her! She isn’t a stray animal…
    If I was in the same situation as much as it would pain me I couldn’t take on another child, financially or physically. Think before you judge.

60. Erin says:

I have nursed a child other than my own. We were at a party and our friend brought his 9 month old and “forgot” her bottles. I was already nursing my own child and Believe me I had plenty to share….It was kind of the same as cooking a meal for company…I didn’t think twice..Everybody has to eat !! I do, however, wonder about that child and have thought of her over the years. I think it does give you a special bond. She would be 31 by now.

61. Kathleen says:

it would of been hard though to give the baby to the athorities but a good feeling knowing you saved a innocent life.. I hope whoever adopts this precious child keeps intouch with the family who saved her life and keeps em up on how she is doing and one day perhaps when she is older she can meet the child she saved and the child can meet the woman who saved her life and was there at the right time when she needed her most

62. Diane Arndt says:

I know God was in this one…
    My Nana (from England) was a wet nurse back in the 20S when she was pregnant with my Aunt Jean.
    If this chance had come up for me, without a doubt I would do it…She saved that baby girls life, as God planned

63. skg says:

I think this is a nice article about the couple and woman who saved this baby, but the overall tone of, “would you breastfeed another persons baby?” seems a bit dramatic. Women have been doing that for centuries. “Wet nursing” has kept millions of babies alive I’m sure and doesn’t seem like a big controversy.

• Kris says:

Women donate breast milk to hospitals all the time for babies that are not theirs. At least they do in the United States. Maybe it’s a culture thing?

64. Deborah says:

This article was published almost a year ago. Does anyone know what has happened to Cerene?

65. Cassie says:

I don’t think there is even a question in this. Would you nurse someone else’s child if their live depended on it? I think you would have to be one cold hearted individual NOT to. I was just telling my husband how, having nursed my daughter for 24 months, my breasts feel sollen and swore with the feel of needing to nurse every time I hear an infant crying in a certain way. I have to laugh, because after reading this article, I feel sore the same way. It’s been 2 years since I stopped nursing, but I don’t think that instinct ever goes away.

66. Leanna says:

My daughter was born 11 weeks premature and wasn’t able to take to breast however I would pump my milk and take it to the hospital for her and it would be used in her feeding tubes, however I was making wayyyy too much and they didnt have room to store it, at the time my daughter was sharing a room with twins that were born at 28 weeks, and their mother was not able to produce milk, we became friends and after talking one afternoon we decided that instead of me throwing away all the extra milk I was producing I should give it to her twins, we had to sign a lot of paperwork and the hospital wanted to run some tests on my milk to make sure it was ok to give to the other babies but by the next afternoon her little boy and little girl were both recieving my milk and a day later they were doing much better than they were doing before, the fear of losing her babies were almost gone because they were doing so well, you can never underestimate the power of mothers milk.

67. Dee Dee says:

Of course I would nurse any baby that needs nourishment. I even offered to friends to babysit their baby and nurse if hungry. The parents thought it was strange but I thought if baby is hungry I feed them if I can. It comes natural to want to nurture. I don’t think I could have given the baby up, I’d try to adopt her myself.

68. Women totally rock our world!

69. Teresa says:

I am 52 years old, all of my children were nursed, and I too was a wet nurse with my first child, if one of my grandchildren needed me too, I would gladly bring the milk in and nurse, BRAVO to this lady!!

70. ashley says:

very beautiful thing maria done i breastfeed my son until he was one and i wish i would have continued the most wonderful feeling and if there were a child in need i would in a heartbeat

71. Steven Sanderson says:

This is just more proof that we are different than animals, an animal wouldnt have given a second thought to another animals offspring besides to see if it was food or not but other than that it would have left it to die

• Brandy says:

Not true. Cats will adopt abandoned kittens into their litter if they find it to be healthy. If it is weak and sick not so much. Wolves often will adopt cubs as well. Monkey mothers will often take to other animal babies not just monkeys.

• me says:

Not really many animals have helped and nursed other stray animals. Just like people, it depends on the animal or person s personality and character.

72. L A says:

God Bless Maria, her family and to babygirl Ceren.

73. Stephen Cameron says:

After reading this article I decided to read the comments to see what others have said, and it makes me happy to see that people are not focusing on the neglect, but praising this loving mother
    Hopefully we can eventually put a stop to this sort of thing from happening in the first place with peaceful messages like this instead of hate driven conversations that only isolate people suffering from mental illnesses

74. Leah says:

Would I breastfeed a baby to save his/her life? Uh yes! I have breastfed friends babies and my sister’s babies. I had a good friend donate breast milk when my supply was frustratingly low. So yeah it is perfectly acceptable and has been done for centuries.

75. Pia says:

I have nursed several people’s babies. It never even felt weird at all. They needed my milk so they got it. My 5 kids were nursed and I have nursed my 3 grand kids. I even nursed a starving 3 week old poodle puppy in Mexico who was starving. My milk kept the puppy alive. Now I’m adopting my 2 month old nephew and had not thought of nursing him. He’s never been nursed and is allergic to every formula there is. He is a very tiny baby and not the healthiest of my now 6 kids. I’m so happy I read this article. I am going to get him on my tit right away. He’s doing great on goats milk. I can’t imagine how we’ll he will do once my milk drops again. I hope it will. I have not nursed in 8 years. Wish me luck and prayers please.

76. Monique says:

When my second son was born I produced enough milk to feed 6 babies and because I had to stay in the hospital for a week ,the nurses asked if they could use the extra milk for the premature babies. After a few days a woman came into my room with some flowers, she wanted to thank me, her son was born 8 weeks early and she hadn’t been able to produce milk due to stress. When she was asked if they were allowed to use my milk it was such a relief for her, the stress she felt was lifted and 3 days later she started producing milk herself.

77. Mechele Johnson says:

Without even thinking about it I would breastfeed another child if needed. It is a beautiful gift we as women are given. We are the lifegivers. It is an instinct to nurture and care for young, wether we gave birth to that young or someone else…I only wish that she had been able to adopt Cerene. That would have been really beautiful!

78. Bonnie Way says:

Wow, what an amazing story! I’ve never nursed any children other than my own, but I would totally do what this mom did. And I can understand how hard it would be for her to give the baby away after that. Thanks for sharing!

79. Lis says:

This is such amazing story. I never take the time to post
    Comments on thing that are from the Internet .
    But this story was so touching to me. I would have
    Done the same thing . I know that had to be so
    Hard for her to let that lil precious angel go.
    Happy to know that she can stay in touch with
    The child. God bless her and the child and her
    Unborn child.

80. Billy says:

Just seeing this now, after it’s a year old, but I’m not surprised at all at this woman’s actions. In fact, I’m shocked at how surprised and amazed people at what she did. It’s called the Mother Instinct. As a woman and a Mother, she saw a child in need and did at Nature has designed her to do: nurture, protect, and provide for the child. I mean, how often do we read about animal mothers taking in babies from other species and raising them? It’s fairly common, in fact.

I guess in our society where we are so self-centered and self-serving it is somewhat shocking.

81. kelly rae says:

This is really amazing. I love the idea of nursing a baby back to life-that must have been so powerful. What women possess is truly miraculous.

82. Sharon says:

My grandmother nursed other babies than her own during the 20’s. Women who do this are called “Wet Nurses”.

83. Dorjam says:

Mercy has no race, no nationality, no questions.

84. JOAN says:

OMG… THIS STORY BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES… GOD BLESS THE YOUNG MOM WHO SAVED THE LITTLE GIRL’S LIFE. THANK GOD THEY HAD THE CAB TO TURN AROUND… BLESSINGS TO THE YOUNG FAMILY. GOD USED YOU TO BLESS THE NEW BORN. SPECIAL BLESSING TO THE YOUNG INFANT IN JESUS NAME AMEN.

85. Mrs. Lawler says:

Great story, and I definitely see no issue with breastfeeding someone else’s baby! I’m more shocked about the “cultural rules against nursing in public”! Completely shocked by THAT!

• Fatima says:

This is a beautiful story! May God reward this woman for her kindness. She formed a lifelong bond with this baby. There are no cultural prohibitions against breastfeeding, it is natural just covering up is needed but this was life and death situation and the taxi driver offcourse understood. I am sure he was touched and impressed with this amazing act. Also, in Islam, because she breastfed this baby, she is now her daughter. Breastfeeding relationship is like birth relationship. This woman’s children are the baby’s brothers/sisters.

86. Michelle says:

What this woman did was awesome, and I would have done the same thing in her position. I had trouble with latching (had to use special creams for soreness), and supply (not even a pump helped), I didn’t nurse for long. I quit at 6 months with our older two, and 3 months with our youngest. (Was on meds). I wish I could have had a more ample supply…

87. Avalon says:

If I was lactating, I wont not hesitate. I would even donate my extra milk to the hospital for the premature babies or mothers of babies who milk hasn’t come in yet. Before bottles and formula, there were woman who had the job of breastfeeding other woman’s babies, they were called Wet Nurse. I think most people who would think it wasn’t right to breast feed another’s baby, would be concerned about HIV and other illnesses passed through the breast milk…?

88. Wendy says:

my grandmother and her four sisters all fed each other’s babies when they minded them, back in the early 1900’s. It was the natural thing to do. Nourishment is nourishment, end of story.

89. Garnet says:

Beautiful story. It’s just food for a baby so I’m glad the lady was able to save her this way. As far as adoption is concerned I think she did the right thing. As much as I’m sure she would have loved to take that baby, the baby’s culture and home was in Turkey. It is better for the baby to go to loving parents in her home of Turkey. I’m sure the baby and the mother will always be connected. This story ended the right way I think.

90. Jennifer says:

I would absolutely have done the same thing! I actually have wet nursed other babes. My own son was allergic to my milk, and I had an abundant milk supply, and it seemed such a waste to just let my mammaries dry up. When I no longer needed to wet nurse, I pumped and donated tons of breastmilk. I look forward to when I have another child and I can share that bond with him/her! =) And I would also be interested in breastfeeding an adopted child.

91. Jane says:

How Amazing! I would have wanted too, but I think I would have hand pumped into a bottle. The reason why, is that certain diseases can be transferred from a baby to a nursing woman, and vise versa through saliva/nipple/milk. The child could have had diseases given to it from its birth mother. Even though I think it was a wonderful thing she did, she did put herself and her unborn baby’s life at risk. Thankfully, the baby was healthy besides the immediate danger, but if it had not, the consequences to that mother to be, could have been life threatening to her, and her unborn baby :/

92. Dusky says:

I would have no problem with nursing another’s child. I had twins and nursed both with no problem. While nursing my son we visited with a family member and he told us that he was the same age as his oldest sisters first child. His mom and sister would baby sifor each other and nurse both babies this would have been in the 1940s. He said a baby needs to be fed no matter where and who’s feeding him.

93. Becky says:

I took my 18 month old son to visit relatives in my hometown. Got to see one of my cousins and she had a 3 week old baby girl. I had been blessed to have a nursing babysitting so I could return to work. My cousin was tired so I offered to nurse her baby while she washed up and go something to eat. My male cousins were shocked. “You can do that?” Cousin Henry said, “Oh, like a pinch hitter in baseball.” It was a warm experience lending a hand so to speak.

94. Zim says:

My wife has donated pumped milk while breastfeeding our daughter. And my grandma sold breast milk to a man who was allergic to cow milk before they had almond milk and lactose free stuff.

I think it is great to be able to help others in this way.

95. Debbie says:

When my daughter was 10 days old she was in ICU,my mom had been a foster parent at the time and was getting a new foster baby out of the NICU at the same hospitalso I meet her there. The baby was an Afro-American baby and failure to thrive, the nurse noticed that my body reacted to his crying and asked if I was breastfeeding. I explained to her my situation and that pumping was not working and I was losing my milk. The nurse excused herself leaving my mom and I to bond with the baby. The nurse returned with 2 Doctors and another women and explained that they had a way not only to help the baby, but my daughter. Every formula they had used on him was not helping him grow.. would I be willing to ‘wet nurse’ him?
    Thanks to the nurse, not only did I have milk for my daughter,but I also continued to feed my ‘foster son’ for another 6 weeks until he was healthy enough to be adopted. That was almost 30 yrs ago.

96. Cynthia says:

Dies anybody know how Ceren is doing now, 2 years later?

97. Tiffany says:

I would of adopted the baby. Also for all the above comments it’s doesn’t say in this article if turkey does or does not have a law for BF. It just says she asked because of her not knowing if there was or wasn’t a law for it. Most likely because she was from Denmark she knew that since there’s laws in different states here… it might be different there. I think she had do don’t of feeding that baby but ma

98. Jackie says:

This is Amazing,I would absolutely have done the same thing!

99. Fazila says:

Amazing story emotional made me cry.. God bless her heart for nursing the baby whose she fines a nice fam Ameen

100. beth says:

This is nothing new. “Wet nurses” were essential back in the days when mothers died more frequently during childbirth, etc.

101. anna says:

I’m pretty sure you can’t nurse until.you deliver. Your milk doesn’t Even on until that one certain hormone is released ?how did she nurse her?

• Lisa Arneill says:

Some people do start to lactate in the last few weeks or months before they deliver.

• Rose says:

I started producing colostrum at 16 weeks. Midwives encourage you to try and express and store it from 37 weeks onwards, so it’s more than possible. Your milk doesn’t come in til about 3 days after the birth, but colostrum is what newborns need- it’s like liquid gold and would have done this little one a world of good.

102. Stella says:

Something must be wrong with some of the translations because it appears to say that the person who left a helpless newborn girl to die on the side of the road in sweltering heat was a mother who did her “best.” That couldn’t be right.

103. Bianca says:

Just beautiful. Well done and quick thinking. Poor little bubba.
    This is not a bottle vs breast story. It’s a life vs death story
    That ended well. :-)

104. Leash says:

It is an amazing thing what that women did to save that beautiful baby girl. Are they going to try and find out who a banned the baby and charge them???

105. Samantha says:

to any nay-sayers out there:
    If this was a cow feeding an orphaned calf you wouldn’t have a problem with it would you?
    This woman was intelligent and instinctual enough to do an amazing thing and if more humans were like her the world would be a better place.

106. Sharla says:

What a sweet story! I wouldn’t have even hesitated to feed that baby. But like her I’m sure the only hard part would have been letting her go.

107. Anna says:

Wow amazing!!! if I was this woman I would try to adopt this baby, and to the woman who left this baby in the sun to die shame on you, you could of taken her to hospital or to a member of the family, there is loads of things you could of done there is no excuse. Hope you get punished for this, she didn’t stand a chance in that heat if no one found her poor little girl.

108. Kat says:

what an amazing woman to do that! that child survived thanks to her (and her family’s) actions.

109. Jacinta says:

People drink another species milk no questions asked but this is considered weird? Humans.

110. Claire says:

I think this woman is amazing. I wouldn’t hesitate in doing that to save a child’s life.

111. Victoria Clarke says:

Beautiful story….So glad the little baby girl was ok due to the kindness of a lady whom did the most natural thing in this world offered her love & milk.
    I would of done the same as she did.
    Hope the little one found a loving family who loves her to bits!
    Love & hugs to her ?
    Well done to the most lovely & kind lady for helping the little sweetie live ?

112. Brandi says:

Too bad you couldn’t keep the baby but amazing job saving her life

113. lia says:

Surely just a publicity stunt? If the baby was so hot and in danger why is it still all wrapped up In an outfit while you feed It….

114. sammi says:

Theres a reason behind it all a very wise lesson here for all nursing was done centuries ago nothing bad or unusual about God has made this as an example as to how our lifes are precious and how we can help one another through difficultly no matter were in the world you come from we are all human and have the same basic needs the only ddifference is culture religion other than that we are all the same. This baby has a purpose in her life may god grant her a long and healthy joyful life Aameen.

115. sad says:

i am a boy and i have a little sister , if her mum couldn’t nurse her i would instantly , i would take her in and nourish her

116. Alyse says:

My grandfather was nursed by a neighbor because his mom couldn’t produce any milk. The neighbor recently had a baby and nursed my grandfather and her own child. This kind lady saved him and so his mother named him after their family: Lewis (back when babies sometimes went a while before being named). I would totally do it. I’ve pumped milk for my neighbors baby before… not to different than nursing

117. Donna says:

Wet Nurse. It is the way that babies have always been saved by another mother